Thursday, January 3, 2013

The Tuscan Countryside with a Palette Knife


Happy New Year!

My final commission of 2012 was a 4 x 8 foot painting on panel.  The wall which it was designed for had a vaulted ceiling, so the custom framing allowed the painting to appear as an architectural element in the room.  Using a limited palette of colors to coordinate with the furnishings, only knives and blades were used to create this painting, no brushes.  This technique gave the painting a rich texture.  Painting it brought me a great deal of enjoyment, especially when I pulled out my old "Bob Ross" plexiglas painter's palette.  I have included the progression photos so you may see my process.

Wishing you peace and joy in the new year.  Thank you for your continued support of my efforts.
Christine


Initial sketch

Gessoed panel

Charcoal outline


Tonal underpainting

Color wash underpainting - Right

Color wash underpainting - Left

Color wash underpainting - Detail


My Bob Ross Plexiglas Palette

Finished

Detail

Installed



2 comments:

Cheryl Kirk Noll said...

WOW. Impressive work, Christine.

Teresa Dominici said...

Beautiful work, Christine!